|Location:||Indian Harbour, Nova Scotia|
|Building Type:||Single Family Residential|
|Project Phase:||Under Construction|
|Year of Construction:||2017|
|Gross Floor Area (m2):||330|
Built by: Sawlor Built Homes
1148 Bedford Highway, Halifax, NS B4A 1B8
The Atlantic Coast Passive House is a modern style bungalow with a walkout basement located on a beautiful oceanfront property in Indian Harbour, designed to meet the Passive House standard.
This home will allow our Homeowners to live comfortably in a home that can be heated with minimal mechanical equipment, such as a single mini-split ductless heat pump. In order to maintain a comfortable inside temperature, ambient heat sources such as sunlight, hair dryers, body heat, appliances etc. need to be factored into the heat design calculation. Without a doubt, our Passive House Project will have a reduced carbon footprint on our planet.
Extremely efficient with R-80 in the ceiling, R-55 in exterior walls and a unique, super insulated slab and foundation. Extremely air tight (for increased efficiency) with a blower door test result of 0.58 AC/H.
Our Homeowners have selected natural wood siding and high density cement panels for their earth-friendly home on their beautiful ocean front property: Keel ArmorPlank Cement Panel. Color: Light Gray, Fraser Evolution Series Wood Siding – Atlantic Collection. Color: Peggy’s Cove.
A drilled well was not an option for this oceanfront home, so we incorporated a “Butterfly Metal Roof” system that will collect rain water from both buildings and store it in a cistern. The cistern is equipped with a water treatment system which will then treat the rain water and supply the house with fresh water.
Modern trim package throughout home, including a custom designed and built bed in the master bedroom.
Our Clients intend for this home to be their “forever” home. Aging in Place technologies included: Roll in custom shower in master ensuite, wider hallways and doorways, accessible plumbing fixtures.
- Super-insulated R-6:35:55:90 enclosure (Windows:Slab:Walls:Roof)
- Large Windows on SSW exposure, Min. glazing on other sides
- Simple shape to reduce enclosure surface area S/V = 0.67 m-1
- Foundation Slab- R-35: 8 in. Concrete slab with 8 in. EPS
- Foundation Walls R-47: 11 inch ICF Concrete with EPS/Roxul
- Walls 9.5 in. cellulose, 5.5 in. Rock wool Batt R-55: TJI / 2×6 Double wall
- Roof, 28 in. (min.) blown cellulose R-87: Wood truss
- High Performance Windows – uPVC Triple glazed
- Heating/Cooling – Electric Baseboard + Mini-split air-source heat pump
- Ventilation – Zehnder Heat Recovery Ventilator
- Water – Cistern with Rain Water Harvesting
- Hot Water – Heat pump hot water heater
- Drain Water Heat Recovery – 60 inch
- Lighting – CFL + LED
Contact Info: Keith Sawlor, President of Sawlor Built Homes 902-465-7738
Follow our Project Construction Updates at: https://sawlorbuilthomes.com/nova-scotia-home-builder-blog/tag/passive-house