Passive House Building Certification is the internationally recognized building certification system, providing third-party verification and a stamp of quality assurance that a building meets the high performance and comfort levels of the Passive House standard. One important aspect is the process-oriented approach to certification. Once this approach is implemented, various audits can be done to ensure levels are met.
The Advantages of PHI Certification
- Independent Assessment: The role of the certifier is to provide an independent and objective evaluation that will benefit all those involved in the project building process.
- Avoid Mistakes: Certifiers bring field experience along with industry knowledge that can be of benefit throughout the entire project. This will help eliminate sometimes costly mistakes.
- Teams Gain New Knowledge: The review of criteria required and the design and construction documentation allows team members to gain a new understanding of what is required to meet the building standard calculations early on.
- Process Approach is Reassurance for all Project Members: Consultants, designers, builders and homeowners will be satisfied knowing that a certifier has identified any potential problems, and worked to help find a solution ideally before construction begins.
- Meeting the Standard: Having a building certifed means team members can be confident that the products are compliant, reliable and of the highest quality.
- Protects the PHI Standard: Certification demonstrates the team’s commitment to maintaining the integrity of the most widely recognized building energy-efﬁciency standard in the world, ensuring quality of processes and products.
Helpful documents to read:
There are different certification levels and sets of criteria:
For a building to be certified as a Passive House, it must meet the following main criteria:
To start the certification process you will need to engage a certifier approved by the Passive House Institute, ideally at the start of a project, as any problems identified early can be easily corrected. However, please note that certification can also be applied after a building is completed.