Website HSS Design Build
Sustainable & Passive Homes
HSS Design Build is looking for a design-minded finishing carpenter foreman/woman for a dynamic leadership role at a quickly growing company. This role is centered around organizing and providing employee training and on-site demonstrations of European and sustainable construction methods, as well as CAD drawing literacy training for our crew. This unique position will also require leadership in on-site quality control for finishing carpentry and the application of sustainable construction techniques.
We welcome applications from all equity deserving groups, but this role is particularly excellent for older jobseekers and newcomers to Canada to lend their experienced and outside perspective to improve Canadian construction practices in favour of sustainability through on site demonstration and crew training. This role will help Canadian citizens and permanent residents employed by HSS Design Build become more well-rounded carpentry professionals with higher growth potential in the growing field of sustainable design and construction.
- Provide specialized perspective to bring European and sustainable construction practices to the Canadian market.
- Lead crew in application of natural construction materials (hemp, sheep’s wool insulation etc.) and retrofit techniques.
- Engage in on site carpentry tasks and skill demonstrations for on site crew, lead the crew on site in finishing tasks, including custom millwork.
- Train the crew on European, Passive House, retrofit, and sustainable construction methods and finishing techniques.
- Periodically train the crew on CAD visualization, drawing literacy to enhance communication with the design team and productivity on site.
- Coordination of carpentry tasks and training initiatives for crew (both on and off site, for crew including apprentices, labourers, and journeymen etc).
- Liaise with Project Manager, Principal and design team to provide on-site perspective and communicate on-site needs (including but not limited to drawings, material requisition, workflow suggestions to improve productivity across projects).
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for the sustainability mission of HSS and communicate the mission successfully to crew and clients.
- Minimum 7 years experience in European sustainable construction and carpentry. The ideal candidate will have 10 years experience or more.
- The successful candidate will have 10 or more years experience in teaching elements of carpentry trades (including sustainability concepts, CAD drawing literacy skills, craftsmanship) in a formal setting.
- Experience with retrofitting buildings for energy efficiency required.
- Experience utilizing natural construction materials is required.
- The ideal candidate will have both residential and commercial work experience.
- Familiarity with Passive House construction methods required.
- Journeyman in carpentry certification or equivalent is strongly preferred.
- Experience and strong proficiency with design and technical software (CADWork, SolidWorks, AutoCAD etc) required for effective communication and drawing development with the design team and periodic training of on site employees in technical softwares/drafting.
- The ideal candidate will have formal training (ie a diploma) in finishing carpentry or millwork.
- At HSS Design Build, we offer state of the art design services as well as sustainable and energy efficient construction methods. Our goal is to accelerate the transition to Passive House and energy efficient building practices to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Our mission: to accelerate the transition to sustainable and energy efficient construction methods in Western Canada.
LOCATION OF WORK
- On various job sites in Canmore, Alberta, occasionally Banff, Alberta (and the broader Bow Valley), and at our office in Canmore
- Employee must provide reliable transportation to and from the work site
WAGE INFORMATION & EMPLOYMENT TERMS
- $39/hr, 30-44hrs per week (Monday-Friday), vacation pay
- Potential for growth within the first year, established process of employee reviews every three months.
- Opportunity for merit based incremental raises of up to 10% at the first 2 employee reviews.
- Permanent, full-time position.
- Health Spending Account offering 100% coverage of eligible extended health care expenses up to $2,000 per year.
- Raphael Spinner, [email protected]
Marina Martin, [email protected]
- Hunter Sturm Spinner Design Build (AKA HSS Design Build)
Unit 124-109 Bow Meadows Crescent, Canmore, AB T1W 2W8
- Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
- Must reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Work Location: In person
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org