ONLINE: Window Modelling for High-Performance Buildings using Flixo Pro – 3 Oct 2023
Day 1 & 2: Tuesday October 3 & Thursday October 5, 2023 from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (PT)
Day 3 & 4: Tuesday October 10 & Thursday October 12, 2023 from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm (PT)
*Dates are subject to change
Window Modelling for High-Performance Buildings using Flixo Pro
In this 16 hour course, you will learn the process of modelling windows using Flixo Pro, following Passive House guidelines and protocols. This course will cover the basics of using Flixo Pro for modelling windows, as well as the creation of U-value, psi-spacer, and fRsi models with the goal of determining performance values suitable for use in PHPP and Passive House projects. We will also cover general theory of high performance window design, as well as the process for obtaining Passive House Institute component certification for windows.
This course includes a six-month “training” Flixo Pro License (a value of $1030 USD). Organizations who already have a Flixo Pro license will not be eligible for the Flixo Pro training license and can receive a discount on the training. Such participants should reach out to us at [email protected] for further information.
Information about flixo can be found on this website: https://www.flixo.com/
PHC acknowledges the Flixo Course and curriculum remain the intellectual property of the Center for Sustainable Building Research (CSBR) and Regenerative Design LLC. PHC acknowledges CSBR, Regenerative Design LLC, and CertiPHIers Cooperative as developers of the Flixo Course
1) Flixo Walk-through
2) High Performance Window Introduction
- High performance window design principles
- Passive House transparent component criteria
- Passive House-specific modelling standards & protocols
3) Window Modelling Protocols
- Creation of U-value model
- Creation of Psi-spacer model
- Creation of fRsi model
- Window installation model
- Input of modeled values into PHPP & DesignPH
- Glazing Modelling in WINDOW
4) Flixo Practice
- Individual window modelling case study
- Understand and apply principles of proper Passive House window design, as well as theory behind the certification criteria
- Understand technical requirements for Passive House Certification of Transparent Components
- Become familiar with the features of Flixo Pro, with a specific focus on in-program tools for modeling and calculating results for transparent components
- Carry out modelling of Uf, Psi-spacer, fRsi, and window install conditions following proper protocols
- Understand steps in the transparent component certification process
Product manufacturers, architects, engineers, energy modellers, Passive House consultants, designers and other building professionals who want to build on their skills in window modelling.
Prerequisites / required background knowledge
- Familiarity with thermal bridge modelling is highly beneficial.
- For a better learning experience in this course, we encourage participants to have 2 monitors during the course.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
The instructor for this course will be Cameron Laidlaw.
Cameron Laidlaw, Director, Technical Services
With a broad and deep background in Passive House design, Cameron brings a wealth of technical expertise to the Passive House Canada team. Cameron has extensive knowledge of the Passive House Standard and its application in the Canadian context, leveraged from his years of experience as a Passive House Institute-accredited Certifier. He has provided consultancy and certification for many first-of-its-kind Passive House projects across Canada and around the world. Cameron has also worked with numerous North American manufacturers to design and certify products for Passive House Component Certification.
PHC Member – $2933*
Non-Member – $3125
*Member prices will be displayed for current members once added to the cart
**This course includes a six-month “training” Flixo Pro License (a value of $1030 USD). Organizations who already have a Flixo Pro license will not be eligible for the Flixo Pro training license and can receive a discount on the training. Such participants should reach out to us at [email protected] for further information.
NOTE: In order to provide the best possible learning experience, the Flixo Pro Licenses will be available a week prior to the course start. For advance access, a free, 30-day trial version is available for download for those who are interested: https://www.flixo.com/demo-version/
***Please note that this course is limited to 25 participants and will be live-only (no recordings are provided).
At Passive House Canada we are committed to supporting our community in a number of ways. As a potential course participant, you might qualify for government funding that could be applied to any of our courses and certification exams. Please consult the links here to find out more about funding available in your province.
Cancelation and Refund Policy
Total number of learning hours: 15 (based on attendance of live course)
AIBC Core Learning Units: 15 Core LUs (based on attendance of live course)
BC Housing (HPO): 15 CPD Informal (based on attendance of live course)
PHI: 20 Credit points (based on attendance of live course)
ALBNL: 15 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
AANB: 15 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
NSAA: 15 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)