ONLINE: Construction Verifier –18 Apr 2023
Are you already well acquainted with Passive House building design, e.g. through the participation in a Passive House Designer course, and now want to deepen your knowledge? The Construction Verifier course will help you gain advanced competence in site supervision, building commissioning and navigation of Passive House certification.
This masterclass is designed for existing Certified Passive House Designers/Consultants to build their knowledge of other professional groups and activities which are integral to the construction of Passive Houses, with a focus on improving competency on Passive House construction sites and gaining valuable insight into the commissioning of energy efficient buildings and the certification process of Passive House / EnerPHit projects.
Day 1 & 2: Tuesday April 18 & Thursday April 20, 2023 from 9am – 1pm (PT) each day
Day 3 & 4: Tuesday April 25 & Thursday April 27, 2023 from 9am – 1pm (PT) each day
Day 5 & 6: Tuesday May 2 & Thursday May 4, 2023 from 9am – 1pm (PT) each day
Day 7 & 8: Tuesday May 16 & Thursday May 18, 2023 from 9am – 1pm (PT) each day
Certification for “Construction Verifier” (CoVer) will qualify Certified Passive House Designers/Consultants in overseeing the implementation of high-caliber construction throughout the entire Passive House building process. An overview of the process of building certification, including a cost-efficient approach to the necessary preliminary work and documents, is included. In-depth knowledge of Passive House relevant construction site topics is also reviewed, in addition to an overview of the planning and implementation of energetic commissioning of Passive Houses.
Please note: This additional certificate can only be used in conjunction with a valid Passive House Designer/Consultant (CPHD/C) certificate. Additional certificates do not have to be renewed themselves. They are automatically renewed by the renewal of the main CPHD/C certificate. This new “add-on seal” is used in conjunction with a valid “main seal” (Designer/Consultant seal).
The training is divided into the following modules:
1. Site Supervisor
3. Navigating Passive House Certification
Module 1. Site Supervisor
The module “Passive House Site Supervisor” (SiteS) can be used as a stand-alone training and certification for building professionals who are already certified as Passive House Tradespersons, in addition to being a module of the CoVer training and certificate.
The goal of the SiteS course is to provide Passive House practitioners with in-depth knowledge for coordinating construction sites of complex and/or larger residential and non-residential Passive House and EnerPHit projects. Through the review of numerous examples and practical information, it also aims at providing concrete knowledge and illustrating the skills and responsibilities that are essential to successfully executing Passive House building design on-site.
The course contains topics about construction management, opaque and transparent elements of the building envelope, airtightness and mechanical services, all viewed from the perspective of the supervision of the construction site of Passive House and EnerPHit buildings. The effects of the various construction site relevant aspects on the energy balance with PHPP are also explained.
- Construction management
- Opaque thermal envelope: foundation and building structure and Opaque thermal envelope: thermal insulation
- Windows, doors and curtain wall facades
- Mechanical systems
Module 2. Commissioning
The goal of the Commissioning module is to ensure a successful building commissioning of Passive House projects in order to guarantee an execution and operation of the design without performance gaps. It provides a comprehensive review of the main aspects involved in designing, planning and executing building commissioning. Moreover, aspects related to monitoring, data acquisition and measuring uncertainties are addressed, together with an overview of software tools for performance evaluation and an exercise with PHPP.
- Commissioning of MVHR systems
- Commissioning of heating and cooling systems
- Commissioning of shading
- Simplified Performance Monitoring
- Performance Evaluation
Module 3. Navigating Passive House Certification
The goal of the Navigating Passive House Certification module is to assist participants in understanding the process, requirements and roles involved with Passive House certification, review the necessary documents and their quality for a successful submittal for certification and to provide answers to the most common questions about building certification.
The corresponding learning targets and preparatory course contain topics about PHI Energy Standards and the corresponding building certification criteria, the certification process, with a particular focus on quality assurance for stepwise retrofits, a hands-on overview of the documents to submit and a final review on how to improve cost-efficiency for the certification process.
- Benefits of certification
- Energy Standards of PHI
- Certification Criteria
- Certification process
- Quality assurance for stepwise retrofits
- Documents to be submitted
- Keys to a cost-efficient certification process
- Provide with in-depth knowledge for coordinating construction sites of complex and/or larger residential and non-residential Passive House and EnerPHit building projects.
- Deliver concrete knowledge and illustrate the skills and responsibilities that are essential to successfully executing Passive House building design on-site through the review of numerous examples and practical information, particularly topics of Passive House construction management, opaque and transparent elements of the building envelope, airtightness and mechanical services. Additionally, the effects of the various construction site relevant aspects on the energy balance with PHPP are highlighted.
- Review issues that are relevant to most situations, no matter the place while providing the possibility to identify specific aspects that may be subject to national, regional or local norms, materials, staff and traditions.
- Provide a general overview of the concept of performance gap and definition of building commissioning for Passive House buildings.
- Understand the definition of calculated energy demand vs. measured energy consumption, climate vs. weather, standard usage assumptions vs. actual usage indicators.
- Understand the main drivers/influence factors on energy use for heating and cooling
- Become acquainted with building commissioning methodologies, per different sectors of building services and controls, with indication of proven approaches for control algorithms and control parameters.
- Understand simplified performance monitoring and performance evaluation, from the perspective of user comfort and of energy use.
- Extend the knowledge of the different Passive House certification standards, the certification process and criteria and understand the certification process and the role of Passive House consultancy services within them in order to achieve it in an efficient and profitable manner.
- Learn about Accredited Passive House Certifiers and their role within the certification process and review the important elements of quality assurance for step-by-step retrofits.
- Become acquainted with the Passive House certification platform, including its main functions and review all the necessary documents that need to be submitted for achieving Passive House or EnerPHit certification understanding the necessary quality and detailing of
information, including the boundary conditions for the PHPP calculation.
- Review some of the main tips and tricks, support documents and sources provided by the Passive House Institute to achieve a cost-efficient certification process from the perspective of Passive House design.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
Prerequisites / required background knowledge
- Passive House Designer/Consultant Certification
Certified Passive House Designer/Consultants wishing to improve competency on Passive House construction sites and gain valuable insight into the commissioning of energy efficient buildings and the certification process of Passive House / EnerPHit projects.
The instructors for this course will be Marcel Studer, Chris Petit and Luiz Bezerra.
PHC Member – $1,512
Non- Member- $2,100
PHC Member – $675
Non- Member- $750
*Exam date will be confirmed shortly.
Click here to download the learning targets for the exam.
**Please note that this course is limited to 20 participants and will be live-only.
If insufficient registrations are received by 14 days before this course is scheduled to start, it may be cancelled. While we do our best to plan our course schedule well in advance, course dates, venues and instructors are subject to change.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If you are interested in taking one of our courses, but need some payment flexibility, we can help. You can now pay 50% of the course fee when you register and the balance within 30 days. Email us to inquire at [email protected]
Total number of learning hours: 30 (based on attendance of live course)
AIBC Core Learning Units: TBC Core LUs (based on attendance of live course)
BC Housing (HPO): TBC CPD Informal (based on attendance of live course)
PHI: 30 Credit points (based on attendance of live course) K017_2023_CA
ALBNL: TBC Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
AANB: TBC Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
NSAA: TBC Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)