ONLINE: Control of Air – Air Barrier Systems and Material Selection – 5 Nov 2021
Friday November 5, 2021 from 10am – 12pm PDT
If you are a designer or builder who wants to achieve a high-performing, durable Passive House building, you need to understand control layers. Control layers are materials and systems of materials that are specially designed, selected, and detailed to control water, vapour, and air. They are placed throughout the building, from the roof, walls, and floor to the below-grade enclosure assemblies, details, and interfaces. They consist of membranes and other materials typically described as air barriers, vapour barriers, and water-resistive barriers, or collectively as critical barriers.
The design, selection, and placement of control layers can be challenging. Given the highly insulated nature of passive house buildings, even small mistakes in water and air control can create problems. Simply adding insulation to traditional wall and roof assemblies is risky, so air and vapour control practices must be adjusted to consider the assembly layers and details. Therefore, to design and construct effective passive house buildings, designers and builders must understand the building science behind control layers.
Building Enclosure Control Layers – Session 3 of 4 Part Series
Session 3 will cover wall air control/air barrier systems and materials
This two-hour session will include 90 minutes of live web-based instruction and demonstrations plus a 30-minute Q&A.
- Understand the challenges with building enclosure assembly design and detailing for passive house projects
- Describe and identify building enclosure control layers
- Design and sketch appropriate building enclosure control layers within passive house building enclosure assemblies and details
- Specify appropriate building materials for different control functions suitable for the higher demands of passive house projects
- Passive House Designers and Consultants
- Builders, architects, architectural technologist and engineers
- Building officials and planners
- Anyone interested in the subject
Prerequisites / required background knowledge
No prerequisites are necessary, but a basic understanding of passive house principles, including Passive House Canada 120A, would be beneficial.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slide
- Webinar recording for 20 days after the event has ended
The instructor for this course will be Graham Finch.
PHC Member – $198
Non- Member- $220
At Passive House Canada we are committed to supporting our community in a number of ways. As a potential course participant, you might qualify for government funding that could be applied to any of our courses and the certification exam. Please consult the links here to find out more about funding available in the province you live in.
Total number of learning hours: 2
PHI : 2 Credit points – K113_2021_CA (based on attendance of live event)
BC Housing (HPO): 1.5 CPD Informal (based on attendance of live event)
AIBC: 2 Core LUs (based on attendance of live event)
ALBNL: 2 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live event)
AANB: 2 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live event)
NSAA: 2 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live event)
AAA webinar credits: self-reported
APEG credits: self-reported
ARIDO credits: self-reported
OPPI credits: self-reported
EGBC credits: self-reported