ONLINE: Pathway to Passive House Trades Certification (150P) – November 2021
This three-part course teaches practical Passive House building techniques and theory about this high-performance building standard.
This course includes online lectures and hands-on workshop experience, incorporating actual building of Passive House elements relevant to the Canadian construction industry.
The following topics will be covered:
- Passive House criteria and principles
- Building ecology, comfort and economic efficiency
- Introduction to Passive House design tools (e.g. PHPP)
- Construction process and quality assurance
- Thermal insulation
- Thermal bridge-free construction
- Windows and airtightness
- Ventilation and heat supply
- Building envelope specialization
Passive House Construction Training Course for Trades – Theoretical (150A)
It is essential that those working on Passive House buildings can properly install components, accurately implement design details, and also assess the impact that changes from planned work will have on the performance of the building. Mistakes during construction can be costly, especially in high performance buildings where certification is being pursued. This online three-day course teaches the theory of Passive House building techniques and prepares participants for the Certified Passive House Tradesperson exam. It is delivered as live online classes, incorporating actual building of Passive House details relevant to the Canadian construction industry.
Day 1: Tuesday November 2, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PDT)
Day 2: Tuesday November 9, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PST)
Day 3: Tuesday November 16, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PST)
Passive House Construction Training Course for Trades – Practical (150B)
It is essential that those working on Passive House buildings can properly install components, accurately implement design details, and also assess the impact that changes from planned work will have on the performance of the building. Mistakes during construction can be costly, especially in high performance buildings where certification is being pursued. This included pre-recorded sessions with lessons learnt from the industry as well as a live session.
- Airtightness test: How to set up a building to do an Airtightness test. We will look for leakage and how to prevent them.
- Windows installation.
- Ventilation system.
Tuesday November 23, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PST)
Exam Preparation (150C)
The Passive House Trades exam is challenging, even for experienced building professionals. This one day exam preparation course is specifically designed for those who have completed courses 150A and 150B (or equivalent), and who wish to write the exam to become a Certified Passive House Trades Person. It gives participants the tools required to write a successful test.
Overviews of each topic that could potentially be tested in the exam will be presented and participants will be able to complete example test questions, and will learn to identify common mistakes and discuss exam time management.
Tuesday November 30, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PST)
- Tradespeople, site supervisors and general contractors who will be involved in the construction of Passive House building.
- It may also be of interest to designers, architects, architectural technologists and developers. All theoretical components of this course are covered in 120A: Passive House Design & Construction.
Participants should have prior knowledge/experience in the construction industry or related fields.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
- Access to webinar recordings for exam preparation (up to 3 months)
PHC Member- $1575
Non- Member – $2310
*The exam needs to be purchased separately
If insufficient registrations are received by 14 days before this course is scheduled to start, it may be canceled. While we do our best to plan our course schedule well in advance, course dates, venues and instructors are subject to change.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If you are interested in taking one of our courses, but need some payment flexibility, we can help. You can now pay 50% of the course fee when you register and the balance within 30 days. Email us to inquire at [email protected]
Total number of learning hours: 18.75
- BC Housing (HPO): 16 CPD Informal
- AIBC: 18.75 Core LUs (based on attendance of live course)
- ALBNL: 18.75 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
- AANB: 18.75Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
- NSAA: 18.75 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)