ONLINE: Passive House Design and Construction (120A) – 6 Dec 2021
Day 1-4: Monday December 6 to Thursday December 9, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PST) each day
Day 5-8: Monday December 13 to Thursday December 16, 2021 – 9am to 1pm (PST) each day
Passive House Design and Construction (120A) covers the technical, economic and policy elements of Passive House buildings. Participants will learn how to apply Passive House principles in the context of building physics, windows and mechanical systems. Numerous case studies, both domestic and international, will be used to demonstrate current best practices and teach concepts of cost assessment. Participants will also have the opportunity to solidify their learning with interactive exercises throughout the course.
120A can be taken as a standalone course even if you don’t intend to write the Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant Exam. If you intend to write the exam we strongly recommend you take 120A, 120B and 120C prior to writing the exam.
- Building science and energy use, overview of Passive House principles
- In-depth look at insulation and airtightness design and construction techniques
- Thermal bridging principles, elimination of thermal bridges through better design and construction
- Window placement and construction, window components and efficiency
- Ventilation system design principles, components, distribution and operation
- Heating and cooling a Passive House building, design principles, components, distribution and operation
- Economics of Passive House design and construction, cost and risk reduction, marketability
- Quality assurance and testing
- Building certification process
Building industry professionals and individuals who are going to be involved in the design and construction of Passive House buildings or EnerPHit (retrofit) projects, including: architects, engineers, design professionals, site supervisors, general contractors, building inspectors, city planners, homeowners, investors and suppliers of high performance building materials that may be used in Passive House construction.
Prerequisites / required background knowledge
There are no prerequisites for this course, however it will be assumed that the participants can read blueprints and have a basic understanding of construction terminology. This course does include some use of mathematical formulas.
Please note: 90: Introduction to Passive House High Performance Buildings is not required to take this course.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
- Access to a private LinkedIn discussion group
- Course recordings (available for 3 months after end of course)
The instructors for this course will be Marcel Studer, German Vaisman, Sandra Rohler and Frank Crawford.
PHC Member- $1,440
Non- Member – $1,600
*To register for the Pathway to Certification (120A-120B-120C), please click here.
At Passive House Canada we are committed to supporting our community in a number of ways. As a potential course participant, you might qualify for government funding that could be applied to any of our courses and certification exams. Please consult the links here to find out more about funding available in your province.
Total number of learning hours: 30
BC Housing (HPO): 30 CPD Informal
AIBC: 30 Core Learning Units (based on attendance of live course)
ALBNL: 30 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
AANB: 30 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
NSAA: 30 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
AAA webinar credits: self-reported
APEG credits: self-reported
ARIDO credits: self-reported
OPPI credits: self-reported
EGBC credits: self-reported