NOVA SCOTIA IN-PERSON: Passive House Construction Training Course for Trades Theoretical & Practical – 17 Mar 2022
This in-person* course teaches practical Passive House building techniques and theory about this high-performance building standard.
Dates: Thursday March 17, Friday March 18 & Saturday to March 19, 2022
Time: 9am to 4pm each day
Location: Habit Studio, 6437 Cork St Unit 4 Halifax, NS B3L 1Z5
*This course is scheduled to be in-person and Passive House Canada will adhere to the provincial public health measures in place in Nova Scotia in order to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. You can refer to the public health measures here that everyone in Nova Scotia needs to follow to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. The delivery format of this course is subject to province-wide restrictions updates.
This course includes lectures and hands-on workshop experience, incorporating actual building of Passive House elements relevant to the Canadian construction industry.
The following topics will be covered:
- Passive House criteria and principles
- Building ecology, comfort and economic efficiency
- Introduction to Passive House design tools (e.g. PHPP)
- Construction process and quality assurance
- Thermal insulation
- Thermal bridge-free construction
- Windows and airtightness
- Ventilation and heat supply
- Building envelope specialization
Passive House Construction Training Course for Trades – Theoretical (150A)
It is essential that those working on Passive House buildings can properly install components, accurately implement design details, and also assess the impact that changes from planned work will have on the performance of the building. Mistakes during construction can be costly, especially in high performance buildings where certification is being pursued. This in-person course teaches the theory of Passive House building techniques and prepares participants for the Certified Passive House Tradesperson exam. It is delivered as in-person classes, incorporating actual building of Passive House details relevant to the Canadian construction industry.
Passive House Construction Training Course for Trades – Practical (150B)
It is essential that those working on Passive House buildings can properly install components, accurately implement design details, and also assess the impact that changes from planned work will have on the performance of the building. Mistakes during construction can be costly, especially in high performance buildings where certification is being pursued.
- Airtightness test: How to set up a building to do an Airtightness test. We will look for leakage and how to prevent them.
- Windows installation.
- Ventilation system.
The instructor for this course will be Lorrie Rand.
- Tradespeople, site supervisors and general contractors who will be involved in the construction of Passive House building.
- It may also be of interest to designers, architects, architectural technologists and developers. All theoretical components of this course are covered in 120A: Passive House Design & Construction.
Participants should have prior knowledge/experience in the construction industry or related fields.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
PHC Member- $1309
Non- Member – $1870
If insufficient registrations are received by 14 days before this course is scheduled to start, it may be canceled. While we do our best to plan our course schedule well in advance, course dates, venues and instructors are subject to change.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
The health and safety of our participants is important to us. Participants are not permitted to attend in-person courses if they are exhibiting any symptoms of a cold, flu or COVID-19, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and difficulty swallowing, coughing or sneezing, or other symptoms as described by the Public Health Agency of Canada. No refunds will be allowed and courses can be transferred to an alternate date.
If you are interested in taking one of our courses, but need some payment flexibility, we can help. You can now pay 50% of the course fee when you register and the balance within 30 days. Email us to inquire at [email protected]
Total number of learning hours: 18 (based on attendance of live course)
- ALBNL: 18 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
- AANB: 18 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)
- NSAA: 18 Core Learning Hours (based on attendance of live course)