The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) is the building energy modelling software used to design a Passive House building. It is an essential part of the building design process.
The PHPP allows users to create a complete building model to determine the energy performance of both the whole building and its individual elements. The impact of design changes is instantly displayed, enabling designers to efficiently rule out non-compliant designs and optimize the building performance.
The PHPP enables the building designer to:
- Determine the most suitable form of the building and the impact of design choices on energy efficiency
- Calculate the required performance level of individual components such as wall insulation, windows, etc. and their influence on the energy balance of the building in winter and in summer
- Calculate the heating and cooling load
- Determine the size, layout and required performance of mechanical systems
- Calculate energy production from onsite renewables and the building energy needs being met by those renewables
- Calculate the life-cycle costs of different design options
- Confirm whether the building meets the Passive House certification criteria
The PHPP has been thoroughly validated against measured performance data of real buildings in various climates, so you can be assured that the energy demand it predicts will reflect actual energy consumption.
We are currently working with the Passive House Institute to offer a French version of PHPP, which we hope will be available early 2018.
We currently sell PHPP version 9.6, which includes software and a printed manual.
If you have PHPP version 7 or 8, you can purchase version 9 at a discounted upgrade price. You will need to provide your PHPP registration number during the purchase process.
NB. Orders are shipped from Victoria, BC within 2-3 business days from date of purchase.
Please see the Software Update tab (above) to download the latest PHPP software updates.
Register your software
Complete the registration form on page 3 of your PHPP manual and email it to email@example.com to receive software news and updates.
The PHPP is based on an MS Excel workbook in the xlsx/xlsm format. Microsoft Windows XP (or higher) and Microsoft Excel 2007 (or higher) are system requirements. As far as the authors are aware, the PHPP can also be used with current versions of OpenOffice or LibreOffice, on Linux systems, and on Macintosh computers. However, depending on the platforms used and their programming, there may be limited functionality of the calculation tool or the macros of the additional tool.
The PHPP is sophisticated software that requires careful data input to ensure accurate results. It is highly recommended to enrol in the 3 day PHPP course to learn how to properly use the software. Experience has shown that individuals who have taken no or limited training (e.g. 1 day) struggle to correctly model buildings.
For more detailed information on PHPP visit the Passivhaus Institute website.